Stock: 177 Available
Red and Green Kangaroo Paw
Characteristics: Clumping perennial to 1 m
Seeds per packets: 20
This Kangaroo Paw is the floral emblem of Western Australia and the best know member of the kangaroo paws.
A perennial herb consisting of strap like leaves arising from underground rhizomes. Flowers occur in cluster on stalks which emerge from the base of the leaves. Looks great when mass planted.
Emdemic to Western Australia.
Prefers light to heavy soils in an open sunny position. It is drought and frost resistant. Avoid overhead watering in summer and water at the base of the plant.
Although seed can be sown most of the year in Australia seed is generally best sown in spring or autumn, avoid the coldest and hottest months of the year. The optimum germination temperature for germination is around 18-22°C for this species.
Pre-treatment of smoke optional.
This genus is responsive to smoke, although it is not critical for germination of this species it usually beneficial in reducing the number of days to germination and increasing germination rates. Smoke treatments available by clicking here.
- Sow seed on surface of a porous seed raising mix. The seed will lodge in the the pores of the mix once watered.
- Sprinkle a very light covering of the seed raising mix over the seed if required to hold the seed in place. Do not bury seed deeply.
- Water with fine mist spray to avoid disturbance of the seed.
- Place in a warm shaded or semi shaded position to avoid dying out.
- Keep warm & moist, avoid drying out or waterlogging the growing mix.
- Germination generally occurs in around 21 days in the right condition but may take up to 90 days or longer depending on the conditions.
General note: Seeds of many natives are dormant and require specific conditions or pre-treatment for germination.
Do not be too hasty to discard seed that does not germinate, seeds will often lay dormant until the conditions are similar to their natural requirements for germination to occur. Containers put to one side will often surprise long after they were discarded.