OUT OF STOCK
Characteristics: Evergreen vine height 3 m
Seeds per packet: 8
An attractive evergreen climbing vine or ground coverwith unusual butterfly shape leaves and clusters of small pale pink orchid like flowers.
Native to Asia.
Prefers a light to medium soil in protected position. Drought and frost tender.
Seed is usually best sown in spring or autumn, avoid the coldest and hottest months of the year. The optimum germination temperature for germination of this genus is around 25-30°C
Bauhinia seeds germinate readily, however they do have a hard outer coating, to assist with the update of moisture required for germination the following method is suggested. This is not critical but will generally reduce germination time.
- Place the seed in a container and pour in just boiled water and soak overnight.
- The swollen seed can then be sown, re-treat seeds that have not swollen.
- Sow the depth of seed width.
- Place in a warm shaded or semi shaded position to avoid dying out.
- The growing medium should be well draining but should remain damp between watering. Keep moist but not too wet as the seed may rot. Do not let the growing mix completely dry out.
- Germination should occur in 14-28 days @ 25-30°C
General note: Seeds of many plants are dormant and require specific conditions or pre-treatment for germination.
Do not be too hasty to discard seed that does not germinate, seeds will often lay dormant until the conditions are similar to their natural requirements for germination to occur. Containers put to one side will often surprise long after they were discarded.