Stock: 267 Available
Characteristics: Small to medium tree
Seeds per packet: 30
Well suited to bonsai training. Although this species is typically found along foreshores it is often planted elsewhere.
An attractive tree with pendulous drooping branches. leaves are greatly modified so that only the leaf teeth are visible at the nodes or joints. The number of leaf-teeth varies between 6 and 8 per node.
The flowers are produced in small catkin-like inflorescences. Easy to grow and will accept very harsh conditions.
Although seed can be sown most of the year in Australia seed is generally best sown in spring or autumn in temperate climates, avoid the coldest and hottest months of the year. The optimum germination temperature for germination is around 22-25°C for this species.
- Sow seed on surface of a porous seed raising mix.
- Sprinkle a very light covering of the seed raising mix over the seed to hold the seed in place. Do not bury seed too deeply.
- Water with fine mist spray to avoid disturbance of the seed.
- Place in a warm shaded or semi shaded position to avoid dying out.
- Keep warm & moist, avoid drying out or waterlogging the growing mix.
- Germination generally occurs in around 14-28 days in the right condition.
General note: Seeds of many natives are dormant and require specific conditions or pre-treatment for germination.
Do not be too hasty to discard seed that does not germinate, seeds will often lay dormant until the conditions are similar to their natural requirements for germination to occur. Containers put to one side will often surprise long after they were discarded.