HELICHRYSUM monstrosum Copper Red
Stock: 195 Available
Characteristics: Annual 100 cm
Seeds per packet: 60
Popular long lasting Australian everlasting in copper coloured tones.
When the flowers are fairly dry and open they can be cut and hung upside down in bunches in a well ventilated location until completely dry.
Prefers a light to medium well-drained in an open sunny position.
In temperate areas of Australia it is best to sow from first winter rains through to late winter. Flower will continue until the rains stop and it becomes too hot and dry. Can be grown throughout summer if water is provided.
If sowing directly into the ground sow on the surface and rake very lightly, it is not critical to cover all the seed. Seed should germinate 7-14 days after first rains.
If sowing in containers:
- Sow seed on surface of a porous seed raising mix. The seed will lodge in the the pores of the mix once watered.
- Sprinkle a very light covering of the seed raising mix over the seed, it is not critical to cover all the seed. Do not bury seed deeply.
- Water with fine mist spray to avoid disturbance of the seed.
- Place in a warm shaded or semi shaded position to avoid dying out.
- Keep moist, avoid drying out or waterlogging the growing mix.
- Germination generally occurs in around 7-14 days in the right conditions
General note: Seeds of many natives are dormant and require specific conditions or pre-treatment for germination.
Do not be too hasty to discard seed that does not germinate, seeds will often lay dormant until the conditions are similar to their natural requirements for germination to occur. Containers put to one side will often surprise long after they were discarded.