PASSIFLORA flavicarpa Yellow Passionfruit
Stock: 292 Available
Passiflora edulis var. flavicarpa
Characteristics: Evergreen vine 3 m
Seeds per packets: 10
A vigorous vine that produce fragrant purple flowers with white centres are followed by an abundance of sweet tasting yellow fruits with an excellent taste.
Originates from South America.
Prefers a light to medium well-drained soil in a protected sunny position, drought and frost tender.
Although seed can be sown most of the year in Australia seed is generally best sown in spring, avoid the coldest and hottest months of the year. The optimum germination temperature for germination is around 25-30°C
To assist in the uptake of moisture for germination to occur seed is best soaked in warm water for 24 hours prior to sowing.
Warm water soak is recommended for this species.
- Place the seed in a container with warm water (around 25°C) and allow to soak 24hrs.
- Sow seed on surface of a porous seed raising mix. The seed will lodge in the the pores of the mix once watered.
- Cover lightly with the seed raising mix. Do not bury the seed to deeply.
- Water with fine mist spray to avoid disturbance of the seed.
- Place in a warm shaded or semi shaded position to avoid dying out.
- Keep warm & moist, avoid drying out or waterlogging the growing mix.
- Germination should occur in 30-60 days @ 25-30°C
General note: Seeds of many plants are dormant and require specific conditions or pre-treatment for germination.
Do not be too hasty to discard seed that does not germinate, seeds will often lay dormant until the conditions are similar to their natural requirements for germination to occur. Containers put to one side will often surprise long after they were discarded.