FICINIA nodosa syn. ISOLEPIS nodosa
Stock: 294 Available
Knobby Club Rush
Characteristics: Rhizomatous grass 30-90 cm
Seeds per packet: 150
A very hardy perennial rhizomatous grass native to Australia that forms clumps with upright arching, bright green stems.
Brownish flower heads are produced on spikes throughout the year.
Adaptable to most soil types and conditions. Tolerant of waterlogged and saline soil as well as salt spray, coastal conditions, drought and frost.
Although seed can be sown most of the year in Australia seed is generally best sown in spring or autumn, avoid the coldest and hottest months of the year. The optimum germination temperature for germination is around 18-22°C
- Sow seed on surface of a porous seed raising mix. The seed will lodge in the the pores of the mix once watered.
- Sprinkle a very light covering of the seed raising mix over the seed if required to hold the seed in place. Do not bury seed deeply.
- Water with fine mist spray to avoid disturbance of the seed.
- Place in a warm shaded or semi shaded position to avoid dying out.
- Keep warm & moist, avoid drying out or waterlogging the growing mix.
- Germination generally occurs in around 14-28 days in the right condition.
General note: Seeds of many natives are dormant and require specific conditions or pre-treatment for germination.
Do not be too hasty to discard seed that does not germinate, seeds will often lay dormant until the conditions are similar to their natural requirements for germination to occur. Containers put to one side will often surprise long after they were discarded.