OUT OF STOCK
Characteristics: Deciduous tree 12 m spread 4 m
Seeds per packets: 80
This fast growing deciduous tree is known for its showy foxglove like fragrant pale purple flowers occurring in clusters and its large, ornamental heart shaped leaves.
Originates from China.
Prefers a rich well-drained soil in a protected, partially shaded position, and is frost and salt resistant but drought tender.
Although seed can be sown most of the year in Australia seed is generally best sown in spring or autumn, avoid the coldest and hottest months of the year. The optimum germination temperature for germination is around 18-22°C for this species.
- Sow seed on surface of a porous seed raising mix.
- Sprinkle a very light covering of the seed raising mix over the seed to hold the seed in place. Do not bury seed too deeply.
- Water with fine mist spray to avoid disturbance of the seed.
- Place in a warm shaded or semi shaded position to avoid dying out.
- Keep warm & moist, avoid drying out or waterlogging the growing mix.
- Germination generally occurs in around 14-28 days in the right condition.
General note: Seeds of many natives are dormant and require specific conditions or pre-treatment for germination.
Do not be too hasty to discard seed that does not germinate, seeds will often lay dormant until the conditions are similar to their natural requirements for germination to occur. Containers put to one side will often surprise long after they were discarded.